We have now opened an online e-petition on the Suffolk County Council website:
Please add your signature to the growing list of those opposed to the County Council’s plans for our library service and for Leiston library.
You have until 30th April to make your views on the future of the library service known to Suffolk County Council. All of the consultation documents can be found here. The questionnaire can be printed off and returned by post or submitted on line. But be prepared to be disappointed: the questionnaire provides no option for rejecting the County Council’s plans.
There are lots of other things you can do right now to help save Leiston library:
- Get using the library. If more people cross the threshold and withdraw books then the library will appear to be an even more valuable community resource to those wishing to cut our services.
- Spread the word. Make sure your friends and work colleagues are all aware of the threat to our local library service in Leiston. Encourage them to support our campaign and make sure they also respond to the consultation, wherever they live in Suffolk.
- Send one of our postcards to the County Council expressing your rejection of their proposals for Suffolk’s library service.
- Write to our local county councillor Richard Smith, our local MP Therese Coffey, and the Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport Jeremy Hunt, voicing your opposition to the proposed cuts to the library service in our area.
- Write a letter to the East Anglian Daily Times in support of our library. Let everybody know why our local library is important to you.
- Subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Add your own email address in the form on the right hand side and click “Sign me up!”.
- Tell everyone your own personal story about why our local library is important to you by adding a comment on this website here.
- Follow campaign activities on Twitter (@saveleistonlib) and on Facebook.
- Can you help with the campaign? We need volunteers urgently to help hand out flyers, make banners and do all of the other stuff needed for a really effective campaign. Contact us here.